Whenever you experience the problem of your PC being locked by FBI ransomware you must be very careful not to follow the misleading instructions of this malicious utility. The virus we’re talking about right now is a serious Trojan that was developed by the team of hackers and is specifically used by them as the platform for stealing money out of your pockets. The virus locks the entire desktop of your computer and doesn’t let you do anything with it. In fact, your attempt to reboot it gives no luck. The locked status of your system remains. So, here is what the message of this ransomware locker actually says. Users are often accused of downloading, spreading and watching a lot of illegal content over the Internet (via the infected PC). In some cases the accusation might be different. The chances are that you would be convicted of downloading cracked multimedia samples (audio, video media) with violation of ownership rights, spreading such data around the cyber globe. It is worth mentioning that indeed the contents of such ransomware Trojan might be quite scary if users do not realize that the message is totally fake and has nothing to do with the US police and its other law enforcement bodies.
GreenDot MoneyPak payment system is today used by hackers a lot as way of collecting money from you by means of this ransowmare locker. You’re told that you need to pay a special fine in order to be forgiven for bad things you’ve supposedly done. However, you’ve never done any things like you’re being accused of, haven’t you? So, there is no point for spending such a tremendous amount of funds. This is why you must be careful not to be caught into this trap. A good idea is to call to the FBI representative or local office and tell them about this problem. They will tell you that this message has nothing to do with them and that they’re really sorry for this thing to have occurred on your PC.
The best way to get rid of this scam is to follow the powerful malware removal instructions of some powerful security company, blog or platform. Try using our recommended solution by following this guide that will instruct you how exactly to get rid of this nasty malware.
Ransomware removal solutions
Solution 1 (automatic)
NB! This solution is applicable for all GreenDot MoneyPak, Ukash and Paysafecard ransomwares.
- Reboot your system and press F8 repeatedly while it is restarting.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click Start and in the open space type Run, or press [Win]+R on keyboard.
- Type msconfig and press “OK“.
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data.
- Reboot your computer once again.
- Scan your system with GridinSoft Trojan Killer to identify the infected file and delete it.
NB! Some versions of these viruses disable all safe modes, but give a short gap that you can use to run anti-malware tools. Then act as follows:
- Reboot normally.
- Click Start and in the open space type Run.
- Enter the text https://trojan-killer.net/download.php in the open field.
- If the malware is loaded, just press Alt+Tab once and keep entering the string blindly then press Enter. Press Alt+tab and then R (letter) a couple of times. The process of ransomware virus should be killed after you succeed to download, install our recommended software and scan your system with it.
Solution 2 (automatic)
- Go to your friend, relative or anybody else who has computer with Internet connection.
- Take your USB flash drive / Memory Stick with you.
- Download GridinSoft Trojan Killer installation file from this site https://trojan-killer.net/download.php and save it to your USB flash drive / Memory Stick.
- Get back to your infected PC and insert the USB Drive / Memory Stick into the respective USB slot.
- Perform hard reset (press reset button on your computer) if your infected PC has been on with ransomware’s background. If not, then simply turn your PC on.
- Before the very boot process begins keep repeatedly hitting “F8” button on your keyboard.
- In the window that appeared select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” option and press Enter.
- Choose your operating system and user account which was infected with ransomware virus.
- In the cmd.exe window type “explorer” and press “Enter” button on your keyboard.
- Select “My Computer” and choose your USB flash drive / Memory Stick.
- Run the installation file of GridinSoft Trojan Killer. Install the program and run scan with it. (update of the program will not work for “Safe mode with command prompt” option)
- When the hijackers are successfully disabled (fixed) by GridinSoft Trojan Killer you may close GridinSoft Trojan Killer application.
- In the cmd.exe window type “shutdown /r /t 0” and press “Enter” button on your keyboard.
- Upon system reboot your PC will be unlocked and you will be able to use it just as before the infection took pace.
- However, it is recommended that you now update GridinSoft Trojan Killer and run the scan with it again to remove the source of the infections causing ransomware virus to infect your PC.
Similar automatic removal video
Solution 3 (manual)
- Restart your system into “Safe Mode with Command Prompt“. While the PC is booting press the “F8 key” continuously, which should present the “Windows Advanced Options Menu” (for Windows XP) or “Advanced Boot Options” (for Windows 7 and Vista) as presented in the image below. Apply the arrow keys in order to move to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and hit Enter key of your keyboard. Login as the same user you were previously logged in under the normal Windows mode.
- Once Windows boots successfully, the Windows command prompt would appear as described at the screenshot below. At the command prompt, type-in the word “explorer.exe“, and press Enter. Windows Explorer should open. Please do not yet close it. You can minimize it for a while.
- Afterwards open the Registry editor by applying the same Windows command prompt. Type-in the word “regedit.exe” and hit Enter button of your keyboard. The Registry Editor should open.
- Find the following registry entry:
- In the right-side panel select the registry entry named Shell. Right click on this registry key and select “Modify” option. Its default value should be “Explorer.exe“. However, ransomware virus did its job, and so after you click “Modify” you would see totally different value of this registry entry.
- Copy the location of the modified value of the above-mentioned registry entry to the piece of paper or memorize its location. It shows where exactly the main executable of ransomware virus is located.
- Modify the value of the registry entry back to “explorer.exe” and save the settings of the Registry Editor.
- Go to the location indicated in the value of modified registry entry. Remove the malicous file. Use the file location you copied into the piece of paper or otherwise noted in step in previous step.
- Get back to “Normal Mode“. In order to reboot your system, when at the command prompt, type-in the following phrase “shutdown /r /t 0” (without the quotation marks) and hit Enter button.
- The virus should be gone. However, in order to clean your PC from other possible virus threats and malware remnants, make sure to download and run GridinSoft Trojan Killer.